Thursday, April 17, 2008

Programmers aren't creative

I used to be a photographer, and recently I've been selling some of my gear to new photographic hopefuls. Of course the inevitable questions arises about what I do now?
I'm a programmer I respond.
The usual response is:
Oh, that's not a very creative field to go to. I mean you used to be a photographer.

Well I'm going to put this question out there to the world. Is programming not creative? Really stop and think about it.
As someone who has come from a creative field to a "non-creative" field, I can tell you that in my opinion programming is very creative. Programmers are constantly asked to produce a completely new thing, from nothing at all. To create a program. Photographers are generally asked to capture something there in front of them. Now I'm not here to start the whole photography isn't creative debate I feel there is a degree of creativity in photography, but why does programming seem to have this non-creative air about it.
Is it Bill Gates fault? Or all the other a-typical nerd looking boys made infamous in the '80s for the development of Windows etc. How long will it take for people to put together the iPod/iMac/iPhone with programmers? All those cool funky user interfaces, those problems are solved by programmers... Are they not creative solutions?

So we come to the question, what is creativity?

the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination

I don't know about you, but that pretty well sums up about 8/10ths of my job as a programmer.

Anyone else feel that their industry is unnecessarily brandished with the non-creative iron?

No comments: